MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Title: Senior Epidemiologist – Health Services
$60,444 – $85,633 / Posted Thru: 7-31-22
Location: Hybrid (Remote & Office) – Lansing, MI – MI Residency Required
Purpose: The Health Services Epidemiologist will be responsible for utilizing Medicaid claims data, hospital discharge data, and emergency department visit data to conduct public health surveillance and epidemiologic analyses in support of the Division of Environmental Health. The individual will also facilitate the process by which MDHHS staff access and utilize hospital discharge and emergency department data.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Have a leading role within DEH in understanding relevant health services data sources, their capabilities and limitations, and best practices for analyses.
- Propose surveillance activities and/or epidemiologic investigations to address health outcomes potentially related to environmental exposures.
- Conduct analyses and prepare tables and reports from analyses.
- Interpret surveillance results in consultation with subject area experts and supervisor.
- Disseminate surveillance findings via reports and presentations.
- Respond to internal and external data requests.
- Train new users of the Michigan Inpatient and Michigan Outpatient databases and maintain a registry of trained users.
- Develop “Read Me” files for annual Michigan Outpatient Database files that allow users to understand database contents and limitations.
- Serve as departmental technical expert in the access and utilization of health services data sets.
- Identify and establish external partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain data dictionaries for each source.
- Assure compliance with confidentiality requirements.
- Implement quality control on all projects.
- Identify and utilize best practices for management of large data sets.
- Document methods and processes.
- Aid in grant reporting and application development.
- Always represent the best interests of MDHHS and MPHI.
- Conduct other duties as assigned.
Education: Possession of a master’s degree with a major in epidemiology, public health, or related discipline with a minimum of 8 semester (12 term) graduate-level hours in epidemiology and/or biostatistics required; doctorate degree preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years professional experience working as an Epidemologiest to carrying out a variety of surveys, investigations, tests, and analyses of human disease and chronic health conditions. Possession of a doctorate degree in epidemiology may be substituted for the experience requirement. Experience working with large, complex relational databases – especially healthcare utilization administrative and claims data – preferred.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Excellent organizational, data management, programming, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of data quality.
- Excellent oral and written commutation skills.
- Self-motivated, able to complete work in a timely manner and handle multiple tasks at one time with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in SAS preferred.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Standard office environment with flexibility for remote working conditions. Requires a valid vehicle operator’s license to attend in-state meetings, conferences, and trainings. Out-of-state travel requiring overnight stays is possible. This position is located in Lansing, Michigan and requires Michigan residency. There is an option for hybrid remote/in-office or entirely remote work although attendance would be expected at monthly in-person meetings in Lansing, MI.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: No assigned responsibility.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: This position is responsible for providing information on potential health impacts of environmental exposures. It is also responsible for facilitating MDHHS staff in accessing and effectively utilizing Michigan inpatient and outpatient data.
Contact Person/Group Frequency Purpose
TBD, HSS Unit Manager Weekly Supervision
EHS, Section Manager Monthly Guidance
Other Division Staff As Needed Identification of Projects
MDHHS Medicaid Analysts As Needed Collaboration & Coordination
Other MDHHS Health Services As Needed Collaboration & Training
“For purposes of employment standards, this classification is “Exempt” from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.”
MPHI works with you to promote health for everyone. Together, we will build a world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
MPHI is an EEO/AA employer that participates with e-verify.