MCAN’s mission is to increase college readiness, participation and completion in Michigan, particularly among low‐income students, first‐generation college‐going students, and students of color. We are a statewide intermediary non‐profit organization dedicated to supporting those who support students.
Job Title: Strategy Assistant – Member Recruitment and Alumni Engagement
Reports to: Director of Service Strategy
Employment Type: Full-Time, Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm with some state wide travel expected
Location: Lansing, MI, In-person (no remote options available)
Benefits: Full benefits package includes platinum health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance. Also includes education support program, employee development program, 403b retirement plan (with standard 4% employer contribution and up to an additional 3% match), 240 hours of PTO, paid holidays, paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave, employee assistance program (providing resources to support employees with finances, legal issues, mental health and more including free professional consultations) and a fun, engaging work environment.
The Recruitment and Alumni Strategic Assistant will plan and implement MCAN’s recruitment strategy for AdviseMI, College Completion Corps and AmeriCorps VISTA. The person in this role will oversee the process of engaging partners, conducting intensive outreach, screening candidates, connecting with host site partners, and supporting & retaining candidates through the hiring process. This also includes developing marketing materials, leveraging tools like social media, print communication, & job boards, and attending recruitment events. The Strategic Assistant will also execute MCAN’s alumni engagement strategy, including ongoing and effective communication and event planning to strategically engage program alumni in Sixty by 30.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With the Director of Service Strategy and the AmeriCorps Program Director, strategize and coordinate implementation of recruitment efforts for AdviseMI, College Completion Corps and AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Update and post position descriptions, including in ADP and on job boards.
- Proactively and creatively employ varied tactics to raise awareness about and interest in MCAN service opportunities.
- Identify and attend career fairs and other recruitment events.
- Conduct first-round candidate interviews.
- Work with team and host sites to facilitate second round interviewing process
- Support host sites in local recruitment efforts .
- Work with higher education partners on strategic recruitment of their student body in effective and creative ways.
- In partnership with Strategic Engagement, develop and update recruitment marketing materials and communication tools.
- In partnership with Community Mobilization Strategy, engage Local College Access Networks, community-based organizations and other partners around the state in opportunities for recruitment.
- Complete candidate selection and placement process, helping to successfully transition individuals from candidates to team members.
- Complete and track required recruitment paperwork and documentation.
- With the Director of Service Strategy and the AmeriCorps Program Director, strategize and coordinate implementation of alumni engagement efforts.
- Execute effective communication strategy for alumni engagement, including email, website, and social media.
- Work with team to plan and implement alumni events, including at MCAN’s conference, social mixers, and professional development opportunities.
- Develop and capitalize on opportunities to support alums and members, build capacity for the field, and advance Sixty by 30.
- Engage exiting members as they become new alums.
- Leverage alumni relationships and connections to assist with member recruitment and retention efforts.
- Update recruitment and alumni databases and spreadsheets in an ongoing manner as needed.
- Effectively communicate with programs staff, members, alumni and other stakeholders, including via phone, email, video conferencing, and Slack.
- Work with Strategic Engagement to carry out processes for candidate and alumni recognition, including on social media and websites.
- Assist in the documentation of program policies and procedures.
- Support the AmeriCorps Program Director in the administration of the program including specific grant/funder requirements.
- Actively engage and participate in MCAN staff meetings, being a contributing member of MCAN’s and the Service Strategy Department’s planning, evaluation, continuous improvement, and sustainability. This includes identifying needs and gaps in program and organizational effectiveness and using initiative and creative problem-solving to propose solutions. Work across the organization to coordinate, collaborate and amplify all work.
- Serve as a contributing member of the MCAN team and provide leadership in increasing postsecondary access and success on behalf of the organization and in support of the strategic plan. This includes finding ways to build an anti-racist internal and external culture.
- Employ Targeted Universalism to move the needle on MCAN’s college access dashboard metrics.
- Other duties to support the program and advance MCAN’s goal of 60% of Michiganders with a postsecondary degree or certificate by 2030.
Education, Job Knowledge and Experience Requirements
The ideal candidate should:
◾ Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal management, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment.
◾ Be able to employ strategic and creative recruitment strategies, engage with many diverse people on a daily basis and commit to in-state travel for relationship building and recruitment purposes.
◾ Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion.
◾ Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines.
◾ Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
◾ Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
◾ Have an Associate’s degree
◾ MCAN employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID19.
Priority will be given to candidates with:
◾ A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
◾ Prior experience or knowledge of AmeriCorps.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.