We aspire to be a nationally recognized nonprofit cultural center that celebrates Black Excellence.
The Executive Director will be a leader with non-profit experience who is results-oriented, able to multitask, and knows how to get things done. They will have a strong passion for African American History and the mission of the Cultural Center. They will have strong communication and leadership skills. Also, they will have a strong work ethic that will create a strong cultural institution that is financially sustainable and widely supported by the community. Finally, they will be able to collaborate effectively with the Board of Directors, future staff, volunteers, key stakeholders, and the broader community.
The Executive Director (ED) will lead the NIA Center in fulfilling its mission. They will oversee the organization’s daily operations and lead the organization’s efforts to obtain funding and hire staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Developing programs
· Overseeing the daily operations
· Creating events that generate revenue
· Writing and submitting grants
· Securing corporate sponsorships
· Conducting fund development research
· Developing smaller events that can be held in the office space
· Creating and overseeing an annual fund development event
· Developing marketing materials and regularly posting on social media platforms
· Increasing the number of NIA Centre’s memberships and hosting membership engagement events
· Developing a volunteer program and increasing the number of volunteers
· Overseeing the summer internship program and recruiting interns
· Broadening community support for NIA Centre’s work
· Working collaboratively with the Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, and the broader community.
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
· Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree Preferred)
· 3 years’ experience in nonprofit leadership
· Corporate solicitation/sponsorship experience
· Event Planning
· Fund Development
· Program Development
· Social Media
· Supervisory Experience
· Excellent communication (written and oral) and presentation skills
· Strong project management, time management, and technology skills
· Intercultural competency and cultural intelligence
· Ability to keep Board of Directors updated on accomplishments
· Full-time salaried position
· Salary $60,000 based on experience
· Quarterly Bonus in addition to salary based upon performance
· Health Insurance provided
· Reports to the Board of Directors
· Must reside preferably in Grand Rapids or within the state of Michigan to apply for this position.
· Cover letter required with Resume
About the NIA Centre
We are a nonprofit organization that is hosting impactful events and programs in Grand Rapids, MI while developing plans to build a physical space for an African American Cultural Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The NIA Centre’s mission is to aspire to be a nationally recognized center that celebrates Black Excellence. We focus on providing programming and events for the underserved, communities of color, and the broader community. The Centre will seek to provide collaboration, programming, and events in the following areas:
– Cultural Arts
– Health Awareness
– Entrepreneurship and Wealth Building
NIA Centre is the heart of West Michigan’s African American community, where all are welcome to share, teach, learn, and celebrate our collective culture. NIA is a Swahili word meaning “purpose.” One of the seven principles of Kwanzaa, NIA refers to the building and development of our community to restore our people to their traditional greatness. So, too, is NIA Centre’s purpose. It is a place where we celebrate family, community, and culture. A place where we revere and honor our past. A place where we gather to share, teach, and learn. And a place where we advocate for our future.
About Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids is a growing and vibrant city that has nine diverse and distinct neighborhoods. Its metro area offers great attractions, shopping, movies, restaurants, theater, biking trails, camping, recreation, and beaches for the young and old. Grand Rapids offers great transportation such as GRATA, Silver Line Bus Rapids, taxi service, rental cars, UBER, Lyft, and bike rentals. Grand Rapids is home to the Rosa Parks Sculpture created by world-renowned African American artist Ed Dwight.
You must sign in to apply for this position.