The mission of the Downtown Detroit Partnership is cultivating economic and social impact in Downtown Detroit by connecting public, private and philanthropic sectors, providing stewardship of public spaces, and developing programs that engage and benefit all.
OVERVIEW – The Programming Manager is a key member of the Downtown Detroit Partnership (DDP) Parks and Public Spaces Team and ensures high quality and mission-centric programming across six public spaces. The Programming Manager works with a team to curate, plan, produce, monitor, and evaluate a highly visible selection of programs and community activations and supports events across the public spaces. This role contributes to the programming goals and activation growth of all public spaces managed by DDP and ensures that the DDP public space mission and identity are clearly communicated and represented.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Job descriptions do not typically include every duty or responsibility that a person in the role may be asked to perform. The following is a thoughtful list based on needs.
· Programming: Contribute to the programming goals and activation growth of all six public spaces managed by DDP. Proactively monitor programming progress, resolve issues as they arise, and initiate corrective actions.
o Design: Design venue maps and layouts for events.
o Audiences: Develop strategies that successfully generate attendance at programs. Ensure programs create and deliver a safe, diverse and inclusive environment.
· Vendors: Identify, book and manage third party contractor, vendor, and program partner contributions for events including venues, entertainers, photographers, speakers, catering, audio visual and other related event support partners.
· Special Events: Coordinate with special events and operations teams to support events production.
· Team Support: Support administrative programming and public space functions including data collection, surveying, and meeting material preparation.
· Master Calendar: Maintain the programming and event master calendar to successfully coordinate and meet deadlines and communicate with internal resources.
· Knowledge: Maintain complete knowledge of all park features and services; daily, monthly and annual schedules and availability; and all operations department policies and service procedures.
· Best Practices and Professional Development: Analyze and benchmark best practices of public space programming locally and regionally to identify opportunities for improvement and enhancement in DDP programming and production. Participate in on-going educational opportunities to strengthen and develop professional skills and knowledge.
· Goal Setting and Reporting: Develop quarterly goals, monitor and report results including annual SMART goals and tracking for the Balanced Scorecard.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
· Minimum 5 years of professional experience overall, with a minimum of 3 years programming or special projects experience within public space, project management, placemaking, events, or arts management industries.
· Creative, with a strong interest in arts and cultural events.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Strong problem-solving capability and sensitivity to sponsor and stakeholder dynamics
· Knowledge and understanding of successful urban public spaces, operations, and programming strategies.
· Tactical level understanding of the Downtown Detroit public space ecosystem and infrastructure.
· Ability to prioritize and execute numerous projects simultaneously with exceptional quality and attention to detail.
· Ability to communicate and work with a diverse set of people including staff, partners, clients, board members, and corporate stakeholders.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office and Salesforce and other organizational software systems.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends, when necessary, both indoors and outdoors, under varying weather conditions. Responsibilities include a physical presence in the DDP public spaces spread across Downtown Detroit.
· Willingness to demonstrate commitment to DDP’s mission, vision, and core values.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply by sending a resume and cover letter to DDPcareers@downtowndetroit.org
Downtown Detroit Partnership offers a comprehensive list of benefits for eligible employees: medical, dental, vision, basic life, long-term disability, flexible spending account, pet insurance, and other voluntary benefits. We offer generous paid time off and holiday benefits.
At Downtown Detroit Partnership, we are intentional about diversity, equity, and inclusion. Downtown Detroit Partnership, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, military status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
You must sign in to apply for this position.