With a unique mix of news, music and conversation, WDET strives to serve the community with authenticity, creativity and values. WDET values facts, knowledge, diversity, inclusion, collaboration and a steadfast listener-first commitment in recognition that listeners are the focus of WDET.
WDET FM 101.9 is metro Detroit’s public radio station, offering compelling content to the region and the world through terrestrial (on-air) and digital channels. As a public radio station, WDET depends on listeners for survival and growth. Listeners choose WDET content, and provide financial support for it because of the excellence of the programming and presentation. With a unique mix of news, music and conversation, WDET strives to serve the community with authenticity, creativity and values. WDET values facts, knowledge, diversity, inclusion, collaboration and a steadfast listener-first commitment in recognition that listeners are the focus of WDET.
Advises the General Manager and envisions, plans, directs and develops programming, operations and engineering activities of WDET-FM. Ensures high quality on-air presentation of programming in support of audience development goals and the station’s public service mission to the surrounding community. Determines the program content of WDET by planning and scheduling compelling content through on-air and digital channels. Determines what programs, news broadcasts, and other program material are offered to the public. Employs expertise, taste and intuition to steer and define the station’s brand. Reports to General Manager, WDET.
Reports to: Mary Zatina, General Manager Mary.Zatina@WDET.org
Interested candidates must apply through https://jobs.wayne.edu
The job title is Director, Programming, WDET
The posting number is 046669
Education Bachelor’s degree
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Experience Expert (established subject matter expert, 7+ years experience)
7 or more years media programming and community engagement experience, including management experience, especially in Public Media.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Proven ability to achieve success in radio programming, especially Public Media.
· Ability to promote audience growth by providing quality programming in an audio-based enterprise.
· Ability to evaluate and enhance the overall sound of an audio-based enterprise by evaluating audience needs and interests and implementing forward-thinking programming plans and events.
· Knowledge of the interplay between terrestrial, digital and in-person channels to enhance community engagement.
· Ability to promote audience growth through quality programming expertise, strategic decision-making, understanding and application of analytical data to increase weekly listenership, ranking and time spent listening.
· Ability to provide audience analysis and reporting. Collects and interprets data, provides customized analysis for stakeholders and maintains effective working relationships with stakeholders.
· Effective interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to negotiate and persuade others.
· Ability to influence and motivate others. Consultative skills related to process improvement and policy/guideline development and implementation. Demonstrated success in cross-departmental collaboration and execution. Must have a positive disposition and an interest in the world.
· Ability to delegate work, set clear direction, prioritize and manage workflow. Strong mentoring and coaching skills. Ability to train staff and develop subordinate’s skills. Ability to foster teamwork among staff members.
· Strong oral and written communication skills. Excellent negotiation and persuasion skills, with demonstrated ability to negotiate and persuade others.
· Knowledge of the evolving media landscape including research on listening habits and smart devices and willingness to investigate what is new and unknown.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including audience and market analysis. Ability to synthesize qualitative and quantitative radio data, independent market research data and third-party data into a holistic understanding of WDET’s audience and service opportunities.
· Ability to manage multiple projects along multiple timelines to successful conclusion. Ability to prepare fiscal year budgets and oversee expenditures.
· Must be committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice in words and deeds and act as an advocate for WDET’s content and staff to represent and celebrate the diversity of the community WDET serves.
This is a full-time, non-academic, non-represented position with a generous benefit package through Wayne State University. The station is located in Detroit’s Midtown neighborhood on the campus of Wayne State University. While Flexible Work Arrangements can be made, the position requires a presence at the station in Detroit.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.wayne.edu.