To enhance and extend educational opportunities to youth through innovative enrichment, mentorship, and athletic activities.
Are you ready to be a strategic thought partner in a growing non-profit organization located in the city of Detroit? At Give Merit, we are preparing for an exciting period of growth as a direct result of our successful mission and vision dedicated to serving youth. To ensure our continued success, we are seeking a talented Chief of Staff to work alongside the executive team. The Chief of Staff role will have an immediate impact to the organization as the role oversees program management, streamlines strategic initiatives, advises executive leadership, and communicates objectives both internally and externally.
The ideal candidate for this role will have prior experience in a business or executive level role with proven decision-making and problem-solving skills. Prior experience living in or working with an underserved community is strongly preferred for the individual that will become our Chief of Staff.
Give Merit was Founded in 2011 and is the nonprofit arm of a cause-based fashion brand, Merit. The organization has worked intensively with Detroit high school students from the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (JRLA) through its program called FATE. This eight-year cohort-based program provides innovative programming blending project-based learning, character development, career introduction, and mentorship into a co-curricular experience that emphasizes the value of education and the role it plays in providing access to achieving long-term career and personal goals. Students begin the program in the 9th grade and participate through their college graduation.
One hundred percent of FATE students have graduated from high school and received acceptances to colleges/universities! Currently, approximately 150 youth are served by Give Merit’s FATE HS and Alumni programs and Give Merit has awarded over $200,000 in scholarship funds.
If this sounds like a great fit, learn more about the essential job functions of the role below:
- Develop a deep knowledge of Merit’s/Give Merit’s history, purpose, and goals to create platforms for young people to create the future
- Ensure that our youth are at the center of all planning and decision making
- Serve as an organizational culture champion both internally and externally
- Spearhead the implementation of an organization-wide strategic plan and clearly communicate its objectives
- Grow program recognition and thought leadership opportunities
- Actively participate in organizational workshops and/or events as requested
- Serve as a strategic thought partner and trusted adviser to the executive team
- Prepare for and follow up on meetings
- Oversee internal and external communications
- Strategically manage leaders’ time and act as gatekeeper to ensure involvement in project or decision-making processes take place at key times where needed
- Effectively collaborate with executive team to determine and prioritize business strategies
- Build strong working relationships with team members across the organization
- Maintain a bird’s-eye view across departments to evaluate and impact organizational practices and systems
- Manage organization Director-level positions to ensure staff remain informed and inspired
- Ensure the team remains aligned in how their day-to-day work connects with the organization’s mission and values.
To qualify for this role, you must meet the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- At least 5 to 7 years of experience in a business or executive level role
- Prior working experience managing a team of leaders within an organization
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives
- Energetic, flexible, and a strategic thinker
- Passion for serving the Detroit community, especially youth
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Must exhibit strong leadership and problem-solving skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability with managing multiple projects with time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to interact with a broad cross-section of stakeholders: staff, board, community, youth
- Strong attention to detail
- Must exhibit a high sense of integrity
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Familiarity with Google applications (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive) preferred
- May be required to work some evenings or weekends as needed
Give Merit is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We provide health benefits, earned time off benefits, as well as the promotion of a flexible work environment that values work/life balance to include summer half-day Fridays. If you want to join this team of dynamic, talented professionals, please submit a copy of your professional cover letter, resume and at least 2 professional references.
You must sign in to apply for this position.