We The People MI (WTPMI), along with and through its sister organization We The People Action Fund (WTPAF), works to build a multi-racial, working class constituency across the state that is engaged in community organizing, the development of leaders, and the building of a unified, proactive agenda rooted in economic, racial, and social justice for all Michiganders.
Position Location: Detroit, MI preferred, though employee can be remote within the state of Michigan.
Salary: $75,000 – $100,000, commensurate with experience.
About We The People: We The People Action Fund (WTPAF)(501c4), along with and through its sister organization, We The People Michigan (WTPMI)(501c3), works to build a multi-racial, working-class constituency across the state that is engaged in community organizing, the development of leaders, and the building of a unified, proactive agenda rooted in economic, racial, and social justice for all Michiganders. In 2018, people from all corners of Michigan came together to outline The People’s Agenda, a vision for a Michigan in which all people have dignity, that is safe and sustainable, and that protects our democracy and acknowledges our history. Since then, We The People Action Fund and We The People Michigan have been organizing across the state in support of this living, evolving vision.
About the Position: WTPAF seeks an experienced nonprofit financial professional to serve as our first full-time Finance Director. Joining our team at a point of exciting growth, the new Finance Director will have the opportunity to work within an inspiring team to build, streamline, and lead effective, values-aligned financial systems for the next stage of our growth. Reporting to the Director of Operations and serving on the senior leadership team, the Finance Director will lead in the following areas:
- Assess and lead improvement of existing finance and accounting systems and processes, including listening to the needs of our team, understanding and valuing what has been built, and identifying ways to ensure simpler and more effective financial systems and processes for the future;
- Conduct annual budgeting and audit processes, including working with our payroll processing company to ensure quarterly and annual filings, with our finance coordinator to ensure timely processing of annual audits, and across the team to develop and support an inclusive budget process and accurate projections;
- Partner with executive leadership team and C3 and C4 Boards to ensure financial sustainability in values-aligned ways, including preparing financial reports and guiding discussion and collaborative decision-making on issues that impact the financial health of the organizations, such as the creation of cash reserves;
- Oversee effective record keeping and compliance, including revenue and expense tracking, maintaining documentation and records of accounting activity, ensuring timely and accurate processing of bi-weekly payroll, establishing and maintaining program budgets and financial reports for grants, and managing expenses between the C3, C4, and PAC sister organizations;
- Hire and oversee a Finance Coordinator and manage financial consultants as needed;
- Support the financial literacy of Directors and team members to develop and manage organizational and team budgets, compliance, and reporting across departments; and
- Navigate financial issues and address questions proactively and as they arise in ways that are of service to and center programs and people, including build relationships and two-way communication with team members across departments.
Candidates will ideally have many of the below experiences and qualities:
- A deep commitment to the values and vision of WTPAF and WTPMI.
- At least 5 years of experience of nonprofit accounting or financial management.
- Experience managing audit and budgeting processes.
- Confidence to guide financial strategy, systems, and work in a busy, self-directed environment.
- A collaborative and adaptable approach to leading financial functions.
- Outstanding project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex accounting and financial concepts to non-finance focused team members.
- Experience working with diverse teams and across cultures and working styles.
- A CPA or equivalent knowledge and experience.
We The People Michigan and We The People Action Fund are a diverse team of people, and we believe that our diversity makes us stronger. As we work to build a multi-racial, working- class constituency across the state, we believe that representation from diverse communities is crucial to our shared success and encourage people from identity groups that are historically marginalized or excluded from leadership positions to join us as we build an organization in which we can all thrive.
Details on Compensation: This is a full-time permanent position with a salary of $75,000- 100,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Salaries are adjusted based on federal COLA at the end of each year, not to exceed 5% (budget permitting); and staff have the opportunity to increase their level and pay each year based on an evaluation of their skills.
Benefits include 100% coverage of health insurance for employees and 75% coverage of eligible family members; 100% coverage of dental and vision for employees and eligible family members; 401(k) with a 5% employer match; and a generous PTO package, including a minimum of 24 paid days off per year for holidays and observances, and 2 weeks paid vacation.
Details on Work Schedule and Location: Team members are located across Michigan, though the primary office is in Detroit. Our work schedule is standard business hours with flexibility. Evenings and weekends may be required occasionally during election season or auditing periods (e.g., end of fiscal quarter or end of fiscal year). There may be occasional travel around the State of Michigan.
To Apply: This search is being supported by Callie Carroll of CLC Endeavors. Please send application materials to WTPFD@clcendeavors.com. Applications should include a resume or detailed LinkedIn profile and an expression of interest, which can be in a cover letter or another format. Applications should communicate your interest and qualifications for the role and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position has been filled.
We The People Action Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit wethepeoplemi.org.