A non-profit dedicated to the advancement of the field of Asian Studies through international exchange, networking, publications, research support, and career development.
The Association for Asian Studies, a global non-profit academic association, is seeking a full-time Director of Finance to join our team in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We offer an outstanding benefits package including full coverage of medical, dental, vision and life insurance (50% of family), 403(B) retirement plan (10% of wages on the employee’s 5% contribution), and paid vacation/sick time and holidays.
The position is located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in the US. Relocation package available. At the AAS, we value work-life balance and flexible schedules. The ideal candidate will be able to work in our Ann Arbor office. We will consider a hybrid work schedule.
The Director of Finance is responsible for all facets of the Association’s financial reporting and accounting. You will report directly to the Executive Director and oversee the work of a staff Accountant. We are looking for someone with an exceptional work ethic, experience in the non-profit sector, and excellent communication skills to work effectively with both our in-office staff and our international members.
- Establish and monitor procedures for internal controls regarding cash receipts, deposits, payments, and account coding/distribution
- Reconcile investment activity, employee receivable activity, and all bank account activity
- Reclassify/ allocate monthly expenses, fees, salaries, benefits, secretariat expenses, and joint publication costs to appropriate programs, councils, and committees for tax return and audit
- Prepare semi-annual AAS budget schedules and explanations of revenue and spending trends, variances from budget, and future budget projections for all areas of the AAS operations
- Research all budget categories and determine future projected spending based upon historical patterns and known changes/new programs/situations
- Responsible for all Financial Statement preparation/reporting to inside and outside groups
- Ensure all non-profit corporation administration & legal compliance reporting
- Complete all annual audit responsibilities – prepare all auditor communications, audit schedules and financial reports, ensure completeness and accuracy of financial statements
- Educate and provide support to all AAS Council Chairs/members as to financial, procedural and reporting issues; ensure annual/bi-annual council minutes are received and financial decisions are enacted as instructed
- Responsible for all external and internal grant financial administration and reporting
- Accounting Degree and minimum 4 years related work experience
- Prior leadership role in an accounting department preferred
- Experience and desire to work in the non-profit sector a plus
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; prior experience working with international people/organizations a plus
- Outstanding Microsoft Office skills and accounting software experience necessary
A cover letter and current resume are required when applying for this position.
- To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with ‘AAS Director of Finance’ in the subject line and include:
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and why you feel you are well-suited to support the Association for Asian Studies’ mission
- An up-to-date CV
- The contact details of two professional references
You must sign in to apply for this position.