To empower survivors to heal, and engage all individuals and communities to address and prevent sexual assault and intimate partner violence.
About HAVEN, Inc.
Our vision is to eradicate sexual assault and intimate partner violence and heal those affected by its injustice.
What are our guiding principles?
- Intimate partner violence affects all of us.
- Women and girls are disproportionately victimized by their partners, dates or other perpetrators.
- Anyone can become victimized by a partner, date or perpetrator regardless of race, socio-economic status, gender, culture, education or religious beliefs.
- Education at every stage of life is essential to ending intimate partner violence.
- Everyone needs education on the root causes of abuse so gender inequality and oppression can be examined and confronted.
- All women, children and men have a right to their own identities regardless of tradition, cultural norms or gender roles, some of which support and encourage perpetrators’ abusive choices.
- Abuse is a deliberate act of power and control by the perpetrator, and the survivor does not provoke, enjoy or deserve it.
- Survivor-centered services honor survivors as experts of their own experiences.
- All people have the right to live without fear.